- About ÚJD SR
- ÚJD SR Management
- Chairperson´s Advisory Bodies
- Management System
- Concept, Program and Strategy
- Annual Reports
The Nuclear Regulatory Authority of the Slovak Republic (ÚJD SR, authority) as a central government authority for nuclear regulation was established with effect from 1 January 1993 originally by the Act No. 2/1993 Coll. l. on organization of the government activities and on organization of central government as amended.
Originally the chairman of ÚJD SR was appointed and dismissed by the President of the Slovak Republic upon proposal from the Government of the Slovak Republic. Under the Act No. 575/2001 Coll. 1 on organization of central government as amended the chairperson of the authority is appointed and dismissed by the Government of the SR. Legal status introduced by Act No. 575/2001 Coll. l. from 1 January 2002 in relation to the ÚJD SR lasts until today without any change.
Powers and competencies of ÚJD SR can be divided into general that affect all ministries and other central government authorities and result from Sections 35 to 39 of the Act No. 575/2001 Coll. l. as amended, and powers and competences that are special, and which are exercised exclusively by the ÚJD SR. These are powers used under special regulations, such as Act No. 541/2004 Coll. l. on peaceful use of nuclear energy (the Atomic Act) in particular, and on amendments as amended, and some other laws.
General and Common Tasks:
The ÚJD SR in performing general and common tasks within its competence, participates on developing a unified state policy, implements this policy, exercises state administration within its powers and fulfils also other tasks provided for in the statutes, laws and other generally binding regulations. Within the defined scope of its competence it is also responsible for defence and creating conditions for the implementation of requirements for the preparation for defence and protection. The ÚJD SR in the range of its defined competencies also provides for tasks related to negotiating and implementing international treaties, fostering international relations and international cooperation, including the tasks arising for the Slovak Republic from international treaties, as well as from its membership in various international organizations. Also in the scope of its competence the authority ensures implementation of the assistance provided by the European Union and is responsible for the use of funds allocated under this assistance, and vis-à-vis the institutions of the European Communities and the European Union it performs the information and notification obligation that results from legally binding acts of these institutions. Following the previous scope the ÚJD SR ensures proper regulation of matters within its competence. The authority prepares draft laws and other generally binding legal regulations, publishes them and after the commenting procedure submits them to the Government; it also ensures that all legal requirements in the field of its competence are observed.
Special powers of the ÚJD SR are defined in Section 4 of Atomic Act.
The main activities of the authority have the basis in the Atomic Act, the membership of Slovakia in the European Union and in the international treaties and conventions. The main activities carried out by the authority, include:
- State regulation of nuclear safety of nuclear installations, as well as in the field of using nuclear energy, in the physical protection and in emergency planning
- Exercise of powers of a building authority for constructions of nuclear installations and constructions of nuclear-related installation located in the area bounded by the boundaries of a nuclear installation with the exception of powers in matters of zoning decision-making and expropriation
- Issuing implementing generally binding legal regulations in the field of peaceful use of nuclear energy
- Licensing for activities under the Atomic Act
- Review and assessment of safety documentation
- Monitoring compliance with the principles and fulfilment of obligations under the Atomic Act, in the other general binding legal regulations issued pursuant thereto and in the ÚJD SR decisions
- Imposition of sanctions for breaches of obligations
- Monitoring fulfilment of obligations under international treaties and ensuring international cooperation in the field of peaceful uses of nuclear energy
- Informing the public about nuclear safety of nuclear installations in Slovakia and on its activities
- Approval of the size of the area at risk because of nuclear installation for the purposes of emergency planning
- Verification of professional competence of the staff of license holders
- Maintaining a state system for registration of nuclear materials