Emergency planning means a set of measures and procedures to identify and cope with incidents and accidents at nuclear installations, and to identify and mitigate and eliminate consequences of release of radioactive substances into the general environment upon managing radioactive materials, radioactive wastes or spent radioactive fuel, and upon transport of radioactive materials. The set of above mentioned provisions is a part of documentation, which constitutes emergency plans.
Emergency plans are divided to:
- preliminary on-site emergency plan, which contains scheduled measures on the grounds of a nuclear installation or of several nuclear installations during or after their construction;
- on-site emergency plan, which contains scheduled measures to be taken on the grounds of a nuclear installation or several nuclear installations, operated by a single authorisation holder, and links to off-site emergency plan;
- off-site emergency plan, which contains measures for protection of the population within the emergency planning zone during release of radioactive substances into the general environment, as well as links to the on-site emergency plan;
- emergency transport order, which contain measures to be taken during an incident or accident upon transport of nuclear materials.
Public service authorities, municipalities, natural persons and legal entities concerned by emergency planning shall be liable to render assistance in the development of emergency plans and shall be liable to participate, within the scope and in the way determined by the specific off-site emergency plan, in exercising and also in realisation of protective measures, in the elimination of accident consequences.
A National Emergency Plan exists, which contains competences, duties and scope of co-operation of individual authorities of state administrative and authorities involved to the structure of emergency planning on the state level. NRA SR, Department of Emergency Planning, Informatics and Personnel Preparation is responsible for emergency planning.
Individual emergency plans are approved by:
- preliminary on-site emergency plan shall be approved by NRA SR,
- on-site emergency plan shall be approved by NRA SR,
- off-site emergency plan shall be approved by Ministry of Interior after review by NRA SR,
- emergency transport order shall be approved by Ministry of Transport, Posts and Telecommunications after review by NRA SR.