4.6.4 Activities of
exercising state regulatory activities in the field of health are in terms of the
provisions of the corresponding legal instruments authorized to enter enterprises and
premises, request information, take samples, investigate and inspect the corresponding
documents. Upon exercising their activities, they verify the compliance with the generally
binding legal act and regulations, conditions set in permits, measures imposed by the
regulatory body .
Verification of radiation protection is secured by:
- system of information that operator continuously provides to
the institution exercising the regulatory activities under conditions set in the permit to
perform activities resulting in irradiation,
- on the spot inspections.
According to the purpose of inspections
they ,as a rule, include monitoring of radiation situation in the working environment, in
the surroundings of nuclear installations and in reference localities, using own means.
The objective of the measurements is to objectively evaluate the impact of the NI
operation on working and general environment.
Upon exercising state regulatory activities with respect to radiation protection, officers
exercising the activities verifying mainly the following:
- radiation situation at the nuclear installation, while
performing own measurements,
- compliance with approved documentation,
- dose-related burden of the staff, records of dose exposure
of NI staff, with own analyses of the burden on the staff,
- monitoring of discharges, with random control measurements
of some parameters of the radioactivity of discharges,
- application of optimization of radiation protection,
- professional and health-related capacity of employees,
managing officials and professional representatives for radiation protection,
- documentation relevant for health protection against
- conditions of introducing into the environment of
- preparedness of nuclear installations for radiation
incidents and emergency situations,
- impact of the operation of nuclear installations on the
environment and exposure of the population to doses, with performing own analyses of the
radioactivity of environmental media,
- activities of environmental radiation control, etc.
Officials exercising the regulatory
activities prepare, based on the findings, background documents for decisions of the
health protection body in approving activities resulting in irradiation and in imposing
measures, instructions or sanctions.
State health regulatory authority performs in working environment mainly monitoring of
dose rates, of activities of airborne particles, surface contamination, and/or other
special measurements. In the NI surroundings, monitoring of integral doses using TLD
method and discontinuous measurements of dose rates are performed in the monitoring points
system, as well as monitoring of the activities of corrosion and fission products in
fallouts, airborne particles, drinking, surface and ground waters, soil, sediments,
agricultural products and food components produced in the environment of the nuclear
installation. At irregular intervals, also parallel analyses of airborne particles in
exhalations and samples of wastewaters are performed.