Inspection activity of UJD is based on internal directive that includes inspection plan, which is amended each year. The inspection activity itself is performed in a form of routine, special, team and extraordinary inspections. The inspection activity in 2000 was focused on standard routine inspections in the area of operations, maintenance, personnel training and actions, technology equipment condition, fire fighting measures, limits and conditions, maintaining high standards of cleanliness and other areas related to operation reliability and safety culture, and, first of all, it was aimed at examining UJD’s requirements resulting from their decision making acts. Regarding the fact that since January 2000 a decisive part of the gradual reconstruction had been done at Unit 1 of Bohunice V-1, attention of UJD was focused first of all on:
- successful ongoing realisation of main safety upgradings of the unit
- verification if parameters and functions of systems are in accordance with the safety report and with design parameters in the course of the unit start-up and afterwards
- quality assurance when implementing modifications
- in-service inspections of equipment.
During start-up and follow-up operation of Unit 1, special emphasis was placed on inspection of functionality and reliability of the new integrated system of automated protection and control of the unit. The course of commissioning, results of testing and monitoring of the follow-up operation confirmed the expected features of the system. Discrepancies with the design values had been removed continuously. In June 2000, a team inspection in all relevant inspected areas was performed and, on the basis of its results, a permit for further operation was issued.
After accomplishment of safety upgrading programme implementations at Unit 2 of NPP V-1 Bohunice, the inspection activity in all fields was primarily focused on:
- monitoring operations of the unit equipped with new systems and instrumentation
- special attention to the new integrated system of automatic protection and control of the unit
- special attention to regular operational safety system tests, particularly to tests of newly installed systems
- particular attention to newly installed or reconstructed systems or systems serving for both units (common systems).
After accomplishment of regular general overhaul and gradual reconstruction at both units, a special inspection was carried out aimed at fire fighting measures. In 2000, within the two units, 21 special inspections and 2 team inspections were conducted in total. Conclusions of routine inspections performed by site inspectors are summarised in protocols developed quarterly. After analysing UJD inspection findings it can be declared, that no major shortcomings occurred. The reconstruction of the NPP units has been successfully accomplished. On the basis of complex assessment, UJD consider the operation of NPP V-1Bohunice plant in 2000 safe and reliable.
Opening ceremony of control room in NPP V-1Bohunice after reconstruction