9. PERSONNEL QUALIFICATION AND TRAINING
The overall training system and the development of projects for training of all categories of NPP V-1, NPP V-2 Bohunice, SE-VYZ and NPP Mochovce staff were the subject of UJD´s attention. During 2000, the following inspections were carried out on nuclear personnel training:
- an inspection focused on compliance with requirements for staff qualifications and compliance with the prescribed training of Bohunice plant staff
- an inspection focused on compliance with the requirements for staff qualifications and compliance with the prescribed training of NPP Mochovce staff ,
- an inspection focused on verifying the simulator aided training,
- an inspection focused on checking the preparedness of NPP Mochovce operation and technical personnel for NPP Mochovce Unit 2 operation.
- an inspection focused on compliance with the requirements for staff qualifications and compliance with the prescribed training of SE-VYZ staff
- verification of technical equipment and professional skills of VUJE Trnava staff and tasks arising out of the "Authorisation on nuclear installation staff training"
Participants of the IAEA workshop organized by UJD
The fundamental theoretical training and periodical theoretical training for both Bohunice and Mochovce NPPs personnel, simulator training for NPPs Bohunice, and periodical simulator training for Bohunice personnel is carried out by the VUJE Training centre in Trnava, whereas the simulator training and periodical training for NPP Mochovce is carried at Mochovce plant. According to the “Atomic Act” and the related UJD decree, personnel whose working activity has a direct impact on nuclear safety are subject to the examination of their special professional skills, i.e. the examination of the summary of their professional knowledge and skills. Verification of special skills is done in the form of examination by the Examining Committee constituted by the Chairman of UJD and composed of representatives of UJD, NPP V-1 and NPP V-2 Bohunice, NPP Mochovce, VUJE Trnava and experts from the Slovak Technical University. Objectivity of examination is assured by participation of examiners from other NPPs, by unifying of types of questions, presence of site inspectors from individual sites and by appointment of members on the examining Committee from other organisations. Based on a successful passing of examination before the examining committee, UJD issues, a certificate on special professional skills of selected staff members of nuclear installations for specific activity for the given type of nuclear installation and for the following positions:
- Scientific shift manager for start up with the right of manipulation
- Shift supervisor
- Unit supervisor
- Primary circuit operator
- Secondary circuit operator
- Reactor physicist
- zScientific shift manager for start up without the right of manipulation
Examinations of selected personnel were scheduled according to the plan of examining committee meetings. For each examined person written tests are generated by the computer from the database of test questions at the Training Centre of VUJE Trnava for individual positions - categories of selected staff of NPP V-1 and NPP V-2 Bohunice and NPP Mochovce so that the examination questions both in written and oral part equally cover individual facilities and regimes of operation of NPP.
Signature of an agreement on co-operation with STU on INIS system performance
The database is continuously updated, thereby containing new questions resulting from the recent changes carried out at NPPs. A part of the examination in case of promotion to a higher position is the practical part, which is conducted under the direct supervision of the trainer within 4 to 10 weeks after the successful completion of both written and oral of examination.
Last year the committee held thirteen sessions for oral theoretical examination. The number of licenses issued in 2000 and the total number of valid licenses is given in Table 9.1
The current system of personnel training has been improved by:
- increasing the level of both theoretical and practical training, implementing SAT
- specialisation focused on individual professions,
- complexity of training from the point of view of content of training,
- implementing of all types of training in compliance with the needs for the quality programme assurance,
- retraining of personnel on design changes and improvements,
- by introducing new operational instructions.
The standard of professional skills of the staff at nuclear installations is a very important factor for assuring and maintaining a high level of nuclear safety of nuclear installations. Conclusions from inspections and tests as well as results from operation and start up of nuclear units confirm that in this area a high standard of operational safety is being achieved on a permanent basis.
Increasing the qualification of UJD staff
Increasing the qualification of UJD staff was done in a form of training and courses scheduled in the plan of training for UJD staff for 2000. These training, composed of specialised qualification study, functional study, as well as study aimed at maintaining qualification (continual and periodical exercise). Training courses organised by the Government Office of Slovakia and the IAEA were also of a significant benefit and UJD staff participated on foreign training courses, seminars and conferences, focusing on maintaining and improvement of professional skills.